Some random thoughts about friendship…
- I was the guy in high school that got along with both the jocks and the geeks and practically everyone else though no particular group could figure out why I associated with the other.
- In college, I was the guy who planned the Vegas road trips, frequently getting different sets of friends together who probably wouldn’t hang out normally. Sometimes this worked…sometimes not…but as with most Vegas trips, the trips themselves were memorable.
- I am the guy who is continually amazed by the smallness of the world when I am traveling 2500 miles from home and run into someone I know.
- I am always amazed by the fact that you can effortlessly pick up where you left off with a good friend, no matter how much time has passed.
- I am continually humbled by the love and support of friends, especially in the past few years with the death of my father and other life hurdles.
- It strikes me that friendships ebb and flow. They say that someone comes into your life for a reason, a season, or forever. To me this seems pretty accurate, even though the saying itself is a little too Hallmark Card-ish for my tastes.
- Friendships are surprising too. Some people that you feel like you will be friends with forever sometimes fade quickly from your life whereas ‘acquaintances’ sometimes turn out to be true friends until the end.
- Life can be like a wedding sometimes….you always end up wishing you had had the time to spend more time with people. Especially those who made an effort to be there for you when it was important.
- I am often dismayed at the thought that with many of my friends, if I am not the one to reach out and make the connection, it will not be made. Life intrudes and connections fade if not revisited from time to time.
I am a big believer in the fact that if a person is important to you, you should let them know. I don’t want to pass from this earth one day with the thought that there were words I should have said and I missed my opportunity.